Monday, February 23, 2009

Girl Talk

I can competently find the bathroom, order food, and get directions in myriad countries. I look forward to watching Telemundo after midnight, observe American Sign Language speakers intently as I secretly eavesdrop on their conversations (is that horrible?), and even have a special language with my friends, yet I find my linguistic skills lack when it comes to insanely fanatical girlish statements. What may appear as mundane, apathetic comments are truly packed with meaning, which can take hours to deduce— far too late to apply the actual meaning to the situation.

I was recently at a friend’s house for an all night movie party. Awesome? I know. She paused the first movie before it even started and called out to her sister, “We’re going to wait for you, okay?”

“Yeah, sure, I’m just getting food,” her sister called back.

Translation: “We want to watch the movie so get your butt over here. Now.”
Translation: “I’m hungry. It’s Saturday night. We’re watching chick flicks. I’ll eat what I want and take as long as I want picking it out.”

It took another friend to properly decode the language from one girl to another, joking that only the female gender would understand this dialect. But do we? Can we just deduce whatever meaning we like from what these girls say and enjoy it?

I sure cannot. I either a) fail to realize that the implications of the code, or even notice that the conversation is being carried on in code or b) respond with some unreasonable code of my own.

“Would you like to come inside?”
“Well, I have to be somewhere in an hour.” (Said place is fifteen minutes away)
“Okay.”
“Sure.”

Now what? Seriously? Stay? Go? Nod rapidly and walk away? What decision was deduced from this foolish, implausible, language of the female gender, in which each girl feigns indifference, never reaching a solution but causing the other girl to completely twist the words in every possible combination in order to conclude something?

This weekend I took a trip to Cleveland with a couple friends. The theme of the weekend was “100% neutral” as in, when we would make plans during our time in Ohio, none of us would make a decision.

“Want to go to a party?”
“I’m 100% neutral.”

“Would you prefer a hot or cold breakfast?”
“I’m 100% neutral.”

“How do you feel about the flattest land on Earth?”
“100% neutral.”

As we boarded the train to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame my friend asked, “Are you sure this is smart?”

Friend 2: “100% neutral.” (I should mention at this point friend 2 is actually male, however exhibits many female tendencies—upon typing this I realize I will be beaten later, sorry man).

Me: “What do you mean? Of course this is smart. We’re here. We’re going.”

Translation: “Do we really want to pay $22 for a stupid museum? I don’t!”
Translation: “Not really, but I’ll just go with the flow.”
Translation: “Stop talking in code. We’re going to see Madonna’s cone shaped bustier, end of story.”

Upon leaving the museum, which is clearly one of the coolest places ever, there was no question whether the experience was worth our money. Absolutely no question.



We are never indifferent. We cannot accomplish anything by being 100% Neutral. And in lieu of quoting John Mayer, I do however need to ask: Why can we never just say what we need to say? Is it that difficult?

What is with all the code? Why can’t we just say what we really mean? What is going on that even in the closest of friendships we cannot even express our simplest desires? From where did this girl code originate, who thought it was a good idea, and when will it stop?

7 comments:

Julie said...

Did you know that Girl Talk is also the "stage name" of a guy who does faboush mash-ups?
http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/__girl__talk___feed__the__anima.ls___/

Anonymous said...

I think girls in nature think more analytically than boys. Maybe we don't mean to speak in code, but we listen in code.

Charlie said...

a) i actually was neutral in most of those cases. but not all
b) ie, your interpretation of the hall of fame dialogue was stunningly accurate
c) we will discuss my feminine tendencies tomorrow. you are dead

PeacePenguin said...

Nobody likes Madonna or her cony boobs.

Unknown said...

i love this
especially in lieu of our conversations yesterday in which i attempted to hint that i did not want to drive and then your ice cream adventures...
so true, i have to be in the mood to understand girl talk, i usually just end up guessing its meaning and acting on it either way
so confusing
:-)

Anonymous said...

ummm i didnt realize i was the sister until right now.
sad, i know.

issa said...

dedicated to ann:

it takes my mother eavesdropping on our conversation in order to clue me in that you actually wanted me to drive...

lo siento?

one day, i will get it