Friday, January 2, 2009

Bring it, 2009!

Well, it’s 2009. The year that’s been printed in shiny white silkscreen on my royal blue sweatshirt for what seems like a decade has finally arrived. Graduation. Freedom. Independence. I honestly can’t believe it. I feel like last week I was a freshman, sharing a locker in the corners of the school, breaking the dress code because I thought it would make me cooler, and selectively choosing a lunch table, because where you sit makes all the difference. In such a short time so much has changed but yet it all still feels the same.

We still listen to the Spice Girls, watch Arthur, eat instant noodle soup, forget to make our beds, wear blue eyeshadow on weekends just-for-the-hell-of-it, add too much sugar to our coffee, read magazines when we should be annotating American classics, sneak into movies, start AIM chats to discuss absolutely nothing, Google just about everyone we know… The list goes on and on—but while we continue to do the same things, I know we have all grown up a little, made mistakes and learned a little bit.

I resolve to make this year the best ever. Which all started on NYE, despite 2:00 in the morning Spanish soap opera reenactments, an eclectic dress up party, loud renditions of Auld Lang Syne, and too much snacking? While some people may just see ‘09 as a continuation of going back to boring number crunching jobs or another year of taking standardized tests and studying for pointless exams, I know it is the beginning of the rest of my life. I know that in just a few months, my life will never be the same. I will not see my friends from kindergarten every single day; I will not reminisce with my friends’ parents about the good ole’ carpool days; I will not know where everything/who everyone is.

And as for the first half of the year: This is it. This is our last chance to do everything we’ve wanted to for the last 18 years. So let’s do it. Enjoy our last year together, because pretty soon, it’s all different.

And so I resolve to change a few things as I start of this year. Because if ’09 is going to top the other years, it has to be done right:

1. I will be nice to everyone. Everyone. No matter how much I think I don’t like the person.
2. I will stop biting my nails. I have been saying this forever. It will happen.
3. I will think less about myself and more about others. In a benevolent way, of course.
4. I will write more. About anything. Because I like it.
5. I will talk less, listen more.
6. I will continue to eat Tradition soup, watch PBS Kids, and listen to 90’s music, because without all that, what else is there?

And lastly,

7. I resolve to become a better person, whatever that entails. To feel good about myself and make good choices. Be more confident and never give up.


So get ready, because the next 525,600 minutes are going to be the best ever!

2 comments:

Julie said...

because you enjoy comments!
I can't believe we are graduating this year! we really do have to treasure each moment now, because we're not getting them back...oh dear...

Anonymous said...

i really like your new years' resolutions, not unlike the ones we made for someone else on nye about our dear friend....you know who i am, actually you probably don't, so i will give you a clue...you once said i resembled ariel :-)